Thursday 17 July 2014

Interview with Coldbound



Hi. For many the name Coldbound will be new therefore for a start tell about itself and about that that inspired you on Coldbound creation.

Hello Stas, Thanks first of all for the chance you give me to talk about my project. So let's start , Coldbound is the sum of some really personal experiences which I don't want to talk about anymore, therefore I am not publishing so far any of my lyrics . It's the dark side of me , if you see me in the daily life I am most of the time cheered up and because of my job (in kindergarden) . Passion for music and my own experiences drove me to start the project of Coldbound.

You are the only participant of Coldbound, whether arose at you thoughts on expansion of structure to full-fledged group or the invitation of guest musicians for record of concrete songs? In Finland after all there are a lot of the musicians who are especially playing black metal.

This is something I have been thinking a lot after the release of the second full length album. It's really easy to find musicians in Finland because there's metal all over . But as I said I want to keep Coldbound something personal . Although because I cannot deny that I love music, a new project is on the building right now with members from the finnish bands Crimfall and Hatefury/White Mist and this project is gonna be called "Reverence", a furious black metal project with lot's of symphonic elements. Sorry but I cannot reveal more he-he.

The first release of Coldbound was in Melodic Death/Melodic Black Metal style why you originally began to compose music in this style, and then passed to simpler Black/Doom Metal?

Well when Coldbound started I was in a different mood and my life was so different. Somewhere around 2012 , which I wanted to extinguish all my hate and anger . Things changed rapidly , instead of praising death I started admiring it. Doom or Black Metal is something you have in your heart, you hate it or love it. And it's the music I can play the better and can express my feelings at the moment.

On the second album of II (I Døden Finnes All Makt) you made all lyrics in the Norwegian language, whether it is possible that in the future we will hear Coldbound in Finnish or your native Greek?

Well the II was something really controversial , it will be the only Coldbound album that is out of the main concept. When I noticed about the suicide of LSK (Secrets Of The Moon) I was so shocked and therefore I decided to pay honor in her name and memory with the release of II. In lyrics I got a key person which I am not allowed to say name or genre . And yes this person is Norwegian



Both albums Coldbound were published on Senseless Life Records and Depressive Illusions Records how you estimate their work? Whether you plan to get over in the future on larger label?

With the guys from Senseless Life Records I have not so many things to tell about 'cause our collaboration ended quickly . In the contract there was a limitation that I am not allowed to cooperate with any other label which I didn't liked at all since I am not gaining any money and it's my music, I share wherever I want to share it ! Depressive Illusions Records it's the most reliable label I could trust at the moment. I released both of my full lengths in physical form and as well some merchandise with the help of my Swedish fellows , Marcus Reimi and Johan Kolbe from Mora/Sweden. I have been also collaborate with other labels such us the Russian Rigorism Productions and the Australian Winterrealm Records. In the future I would like to join a bigger label but this depends on my musical creations. They should be innovative, advanced and more professional.
What responses were about albums Coldbound?
Well in the debut I had the pleasure to read great responses and even more "greater" such as the biggest compliment " Burzum of Finland". In the release of II , I could say that comments were controversial, new people started following Coldbound, people that are in the black metal side. So far so good , and I am really happy about it.
You spoke about a split album with White Mist, how work on this release moves ahead? In what stylistics you will present a new material of the project?
Well with the guys from White Mist we will not release at the moment the split as it seems... not even the project "froze" in the midway but I noticed the guys released the split songs for their independent Demo release (which rocks, listen it and buy it guys!) . Therefore I am not in the mood to collaborate with people that don't want to collaborate with me . We didn't had any fight or so hehe, some of the mists are good friends of mine. The guys have their own way, I have my own. They have their own obligations, I have mine. As all of us know, it's way more difficult to have a band with other members rather than be an one man project. I take my own decisions but Mists should discuss about each simple step which takes time and its naturally understandable.
When you plan to let out the following full-ledged release of Coldbound?
Well the next full length is going to be out in 2015 for sure . For the time if you hadn't been aware of my facebook page, there's an EP coming out via Depressive Illusions Records . Recordings are done and are songs that would be used for the White Mist split hehe . Moreover there's my very first song included named "In The Eye Of The Blizzard". The only Coldbound recorded song is a 10 minute length one, back to the roots of Coldbound, Doomish and darker than anything else with a lot of symphonic elements and without wanting to put my hand in flames, I would say is the best Coldbound song so far. Last song is a cover which is surprise. EP will be entitled "Superior Lakes Of Sorrow".


In the Coldbound logo there is a turned cross and the pentagram, what idea is born by these symbols in project creativity? May you tell about the position concerning a Satanism? Who is the author of a logo?
Well hole logo is designed by me. In Coldbound I manage the social network places (facebook,youtube,website) and do all those graphic things. There's not so much to tell about the reversed cross and reversed pentagram, pretty much we all know those are symbols of inversion . I wanted a logo which is going to be clean and own dark elements. I am not into Satanism, I am not anyone's sheep I chose my own path.
I know, you very much love the Norwegian black metal scene and what you can tell about the Finnish and Greek black metal? At your look what of these three scenes progresses in the last years more strongly and can by the right be considered as a standard of today's black metal?
That's a huge conversation hehe. Finnish scene is a genuine scene , with elements such as raw sound , raw productions , hate, fury, anger ...lot's of many. Finnish people do love black metal music and therefore they use to play black metal , many of them. Greek Black Metal's roots are holding from the past , let's go back to the '80's when the second wave of black metal started to raise on and on more and more. Norwegians and greeks were mates in this unholy war and great bands came up that period. Unfortunately many charlatans started playing music in Greece and Norway which made this music more like a trend . Especially in Greece. I am not so much into the greek Black Metal anymore but if you want a good hint , check the band KAWIR . Only genuine greek Black Metal band and my favourite one. Norwegian Black Metal is and will always be a megatherion! And we all know why.
Whether you watch on new releases world black metal scene? If yes, that what albums both successful, and failure, you can allocate?
Well recently I am not surprised with any release on black metal. Maybe the new Mayhem album could be the best Black Metal release of the year so far, it's a really interesting album if you listen it in musical way. But I could say that today;s failures are all those DSBM projects , not only the sound and thematology is copy paste of Shining or Lifelover or Silencer , but sounds so boring, childish, without any emotion. At this point I would suggest you guys listen the new Vanhelga album. It's a masterpiece. One of the few DSBM bands that are GENUINE!
Than except music you are fond? Perhaps you play as many Finns hockey?
I am not into team sports sports he-he. My life is normal . I do bicycle (many kilometers every day) , doing 2 jobs to make my livings , studying as well and playing a lot of music. Myself I enjoy solitude but also I enjoy good company . I am not smoker neither alcoholic or drug addicted (which I am proud of) . I enjoy reading books with historical content and photography (and of course music).


If you were born for 20 years earlier and undertook musical instruments at the beginning of the 90th, what style of metal you preferred to play?
Hmmmm , I think I would jump to the first flight and would go to Norway to make my own Black Metal band. I cannot imagine myself into any other kind of music . I do listen lots of many kinds , not even metal but also folkish music which I adore!!!! But yes, I would choose the guitar and would play black metal glancing the mountains and the mist behind.
Well, it is time to finish and at the end of interview my traditional question. Whether you love the Russian vodka?
As I said I am not a heavy drinker but here's an interesting story. Last winter I got sick with high burning fever. I applied some Russian vodka (cause one of my roommates comes from Estonia and has a lot of that) and I got cured the next morning. Go and look the healthy side of vodka he-he! Tho the taste is burning hell It's spirit drink , a glass or 2 makes you happy , more than that it brings problems ha-ha.
Thanks for that agreed to answer my questions. Your final words for readers.
Thank you so much for giving to Coldbound that chance to speak out. I wish you enjoyed this time as I did and to all the readers out there. I would like to thanks all of you for supporting me , your blog , Jens F.Ryland of Borknagar for inspiring me to start Coldbound and make it social , Krista Löfman for all the Photograpgy sessions (you rule girl), the Swedish lads for taking care of my merchandise , Sergiy of Depressive Illusions Records and everyone who helps , respects and appreciates me.Thank you once more for your interview.





No comments:

Post a Comment